Sunday, September 25, 2011

Writing as Mrs. Conley

Deprived of time, energy, money, and sleep, Adam and I spent an entire summer piecing together our dream wedding. And a dream it was. Unfortunately, as it would be, I’ve however neglected a passionate piece of me that I’ve missed since June 10th – recording the stories that shape my modest corner of the world.

Last I wrote, Adam was selected to the Florida (soon-to-be-Miami) Marlins. And what a blessing! As I sit upon a deflating blow up mattress, resting in the air-conditioned refuge of my Florida home, I can do nothing but smile back on the summer that changed the course of my life forever.

Immediately following the news of Adam’s job placement, we quickly selected our wedding date – 9.10.11 – a most perfect day. From then on, it would be a whirlwind of errands, trips, selections, opinions, tears, laughs, struggles, emails, receipts, phone calls, and late nights that brought us to our special day.  In that time, we also celebrated our one-year anniversary, served as Bible study leaders at FUGE camp, saw my best friend get hitched (yay Katie!), moved Adam’s mother into her new home, signed a professional baseball contract, raced the Dirty Dash, took Adam to the airport, skyped from 4,000 miles away for 3 weeks, received my first concussion, had both my bridal shower and bachelorette party, developed a dirty curveball, worked daily with my personal trainer, established unbreakable relationships, rekindled others, saw some fade, and through it all, felt God’s hand guiding my every step. It was a summer I’ll never forget and one that I’ll cherish all of my days.

The weeks leading up to our wedding were some of the craziest I can remember. Hours spent clicking through the wedding pages of Stumbleupon.com created an expectation that drove my efforts. I wanted that day to be one that was, through and through, a perfect depiction of the relationship Adam and I had built by the love of our God. Not ironically whatsoever, we spent on a very tight budget, and therefore were able to create just that – a wedding that would capture the Conleys perfectly in their passions. Collectively, with the help of many, we put together a ceremony that reached far beyond anything I could have ever dreamed of.

That day sped past us both like a bullet. I remember butterflies, anxiousness, hope, peace, and comfort as the day unfolded. I spent much of my last hours as a Mays girl laughing and running around Olympia with my best friends. While we skipped from place to place, tying loose ends and beautifying our exteriors, many others were hard at work piecing together the rest of the details – thank you.

4 o’clock rolled around in a flash. Pictures. It was finally time for me to meet eyes with my groom. It seems though, that with me, something always comes up last minute that bothers  my punctuality. So it was 4:10 when I finally got to see him. He was waiting at the bottom of a beautiful scene, and I hurriedly walked toward him in a rush of excitement. I’d never been so eager to stand before him. Our first look is one that continually sends tiny little love sparks through my being. I placed my had upon his shoulder and as he turned, I was struck with the most joy I had ever experienced. A handsome, brilliant, passionate man of God would soon become my husband. Naturally, a smile burst from my elation and he laughed. “Honey!” he said. “You look beautiful, but…I think you have lipstick all over your teeth!” We immediately shared a heartfelt laugh that was so Adam and Kendall. Just two kids. Passionately in love. Beginning our lives with a genuine laugh. I think my wedding day may have been the only day I’ve ever worn or will wear lipstick again. But I couldn’t be more happy about it. As he wiped the sticky mess from my crooked front teeth, I could feel his overwhelming sense of love reach out and wrap me faithfully in his arms. With him, I’m forever safe. Safe to be the goofy woman of God that I’ve been called to be.  

Before I knew it, 7:00 was upon us. A summer of preparation had come to fruition. At last! Our gathered community of friends and family had arrived safely in support of our vows before God. And I was ready. I was ready to stand in front of my God, Adam, and the people who mean most to me, and promise my life to a man whose most important relationship is not one that involves me. The Lord first. Me second. Just how it should be.

As I walked down the staircase, down the gravel hill, down the aisle, I was enthralled in love. Absorbed in the beauty of the moment. Captivated by the image. My watery eyes met his. And as I stood before my groom, I was thankful. That I had found him. But more than that, that I had found the most unique, important, and perfect relationship only 2 years before. Before I even knew who Adam Conley was. Before I even cared to know him. I have a love for this man because of another who pours it through me second by second, day by day. A perfect puzzle was pieced together that day, through the inspired sermon of our dear friend Josh. The words that flowed from him were met with open ears, and hopefully some open hearts as well. I couldn’t have asked for a better message, ceremony, and gift of sunny Olympia weather.

Our Vows. Our Rings. Our Covenant. Our Communion. Together, with Our Love and His, we’ve begun Our Lives as The Conleys. And we couldn’t have hoped for a more unique way to venture off. As with any new journey, the possibilities are many. My hope is this: that one day, I’ll be able to look back on these memories and realize growth. In myself. In my relationships. In my service. In my God.

Because of this, I’ve embarked on an exciting task: to capture the first 365 days of our marriage in photographs. So far, I’ve got 15 days worth…and it just keeps getting better!

You can follow us daily at http://a-life-in-flight-365.blogspot.com/ 

And finally, I’d just like to say thank you. Before the letters go out. Before the notes get personal. Before my hand cramps like it used to during Microbiology lectures. Thank you for everyone whose had a hand in Adam’s life. And in mine. We feel so blessed. So fortunate to have been surrounded by beautiful people throughout our days, even before the two of us laid eyes on each other. Adam and I each have encountered separate lives up until the past year and a half, and without many of you – some I may never meet – our stories wouldn’t be the same. So thank you for your dedication to both of us, however big or small. Something brought you here, and as you read, I hope you understand that even the slightest smile, the weakest encouragement, the faintest provision, is worth enough for me to be thankful for. 

1 comment: